I am in the midst of learning to program in Python. I am a very hands on learner and need projects to build up my skills.
I have been wanting to build a desktop background changer for years. I figured now was the best time as any to build it. Since Apple's OSX ships with Python out of the box it was a great little experiment with code.
Here is the Github Link to Repo: LINK
This is a small app to put in my crontab to go to Unsplash, grab a random picture, download it, set it as my desktop background, and then post a tweet about it.
- Have a better way?
- Want to make a change?
- fork it, update it, push it. hit me up on twitter @_spdz.
- All the files in one directory, and setup a crontab to run 'changeBackground.py' hourly.
- Unsplash API app and key.https://unsplash.com/developers
- You just need READ type rights on your app as it doesn't POST (YET)
- Twitter API keys and tokensrights to POST an update to a user's timeline
- Written for Python 2.7 on OSX 10.11
THINGS TO DO IN FUTURE EDITIONS OF THE APP:
- Add 'likes' to the Unsplash picsOnce a picture is set as my background, give it a likeThis requires Unsplash Oauth to work and I have yet to feel the need to incorporate it.
- Code clean upcollapse to one file
- Update code to be compatible with Python 3.5