Here is a long resume of things I’ve done in the past.
- 2 Years Smart contract development on Ethereum and Hyperledger blockchains
- 3 Years Fullstack Python development building automation and functioning helper scripts.
- 4 Years dedicated to the ins and outs of Enterprise level monitoring from Infrastructure to Applications.
- 10 years Certified VCP, VTSP, and VSP in Developing, Deploying, Documenting, and Managing Virtualized systems using VMware Software products including ESX server versions 2.5 to 5.5, vSphere vCenter, VMware View, VMware vCloud Director, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion of OSX, and VMware Server.
- Over 17 years managing Microsoft’s Core Server Products in various forms from design deployment to administration including Exchange, SQL, IIS, Active Directory and cloud product like Office365 for Education and Azure.
- 5 years learning and developing Cloud solutions using VMware, Openstack, OpenShift, Azure, and/or Amazon AWS solutions.
- 14 years supporting and installing Linux solutions from Redhat, Ubuntu, and other Linux Distributions.
- 12 years supporting large Enterprise production environments from NIKE and Expedia.com to the Federal Reserve.
- 15 years supporting medium sized SMBs from local Universities to local governments
- 7 years managing and installing SAN solutions including Fiber Channel and iSCSI.
Nov 2014 – Present
Infrastructure Tools Engineer
Serve in the role of technical subject matter expert, refining existing functional requirements for monitoring and event management tools and participate in the development of an integrated monitoring/event management tooling strategy and architecture.
Responsible for the definition and delivery of activities on the monitoring roadmap.
Collaborate with the engineering team, application developers, management and infrastructure teams to assess near- and long-term monitoring needs.
Assist with improving the alerting and monitoring standards by providing metric visibility into applications performance.
Provide monitoring expertise to support groups that require performance and troubleshooting guidance.
Participate in design documentation of monitoring related solutions.
Plan, engineer and implement robust and cost-effective computing environments, exploiting emerging technologies to provide compelling solutions.
Participate in process development with customers and service providers.
Effectively communicate tool capabilities and processes to varying stakeholders
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE:
- Design, Develop, and Deploy ScienceLogic SaaS Solution to Production for Nike Inc.
- Administration of New Relic APM solution for the entire enterprise.
- Teach various classes on Ethereum Blockchains and Solidity coding
- Develop critical automations for onboarding devices into monitoring with Python and Flask
- Mentor colleagues on Pythonic development standards
- Monitor well over 30,000 devices globally
- Working with diverse teams across the globe.
PACIFIC NORTHWEST COLLEGE OF ART
Jan 2014 – Nov 2014
Sr Systems Administrator/Co-Technology Director
Responsible for the network and related services, collaborating with other members of IT to support staff, faculty and students’ use of the network and facilities deployed across multiple locations by employing excellent engineering, planning and communication. Was also responsible for systems administration maintenance of major licensed software systems including PowerCampus, Great Plains Dynamics, Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge, and other systems not otherwise maintained by other IT staff.
Major accomplishments included:
Migrating the College from Apple Open Directory to Microsoft Active Directory
Planning, Architecting and Deploying Amazon AWS services for all college Web services
Planning, Architecting and Deploying Amazon AWS Virtual Private Cloud to provide seamless integration with the College’s local network.
Image and deploy OSX Mavericks on all the college’s Macs (~500 machines)
NETGAIN INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Mar 2013 - Jan 2014
System Engineer/NOC Manager
Oversee the Hosted system cloud compute roll out based on CentOS and Openstack using technologies like Puppet, Git, and shell scripting to automate the system.
Deploy and Administer VMware ESX and vSphere for the hosted VOIP phone system
Manage the Netgain collocation data center facilities day to day operations
Deploy Managed Service Provider projects such as deploying Milestone Video Surveillance servers, Server/Desktop Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) tool migration from Level Platforms to Solarwinds N-able. Perform System Engineer role at a local university providing Exchange to Office 365 migration and Physical to Virtual migrations from outdated servers to new infrastructure.
Mentor younger helpdesk techs and engineers on Virtualization and Server troubleshooting
May 2011 – February 2013
Co-Founder/Engineering Director/Systems Architect
Responsible for managing the engineering team in it’s day to day operations.
Assess, plan, develop, and design of all services in regards to the Datacenter and Cloud Operations including monitoring and disaster recovery situations
Developed the VMware vCloud Director presence which includes project management, planning and service installation. Managing technical support helpdesk via delegation of tasks to peers.
Install, monitor and upgrade HP Server and iSCSI SAN infrastructure.
Design, Deploy, and Document private Cloud solutions for customers.
The go to Mac guy for all customer OSX issues in regards to working within the Lokahi cloud
THE GREENBRIER COMPANIES
May 2010 – May 2011
Responsible for planning, design, procurement, installation and support of all server hardware and software for all GBRX Locations. For maintaining server security and user / group access to folders, directories and shares. Assists with end-user and workstation support associated with the servers. Research and recommend new products and vendors. Supports all network servers, associated systems, application software, LAN hardware, network management utilities, Email system, database environment and storage: MS Windows 2003 Active Directory MS Exchange 2003/2007 MS Server 2000/2003/2008 Group Policies WSUS / Patch Management TCP/IP Symantec Anti-Virus CommVault Simpana Dell PowerEdge Servers; Openmanage DELL/EMC Storage Area Networking VMware Sharepoint / Avepoint Windows Clustering, Citrix XPa
Oct 2009 – May 2010
Responsible for All equipment and computing systems in the Islanda Datacenter. This includes installation, monitoring, replacement, upgrade, and management of updates and required software changes as well as data and networking security.
Upgrade all VI3 ESX infrastructure to vSphere [VMware ESX4, and vCenter4]
Virtualize Small/Medium Business customers to move to the Islanda Hosted Cloud.
Support Cloud customer technical and sales issues including Windows, Linux and OSX issues.
Sept 2007 – Oct 2009
Level 2 Enterprise Technical Support Engineer
Provide technical support to customers and level 1 supprt engineers who are working to implement newly acquired software assets, such as VMware vSphere, VMware ESX Server, VMware vCenter Server, VMware View, VMware Lab Manager, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion of OSX, and VMware Server.
Responding to customer inquiries, primarily by telephone and e-mail
Teach and mentor new hire technical support engineers overseas in India.
Resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting
Work directly with other technical support staff, quality assurance, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and administration to resolve problems
Document all technical inquiries, develop and review content for knowledge base
Help test alpha and beta products including beta versions of ESX, Workstation, and Fusion
SUNGARD AVAILABILITY SERVICES
Sept 2004 - Sept 2007
Operations Technician (Dedicated Accounts)
Provide direct operational support of SunGard’s largest managed services customers [Expedia.com]
Maintain and monitor over 1300 Windows 2000, Windows 2003, and Redhat Linux servers
Assist the customer in the physical layout and installation of their equipment in SunGard’s secure datacenter cabinets. Utilize technical expertise to analyze, troubleshoot and react to issues requiring attention.
April 2003 - Sept 2004
Contracted Systems Administrator / Network Administrator
Serve as a Systems Administrator / Network Administrator for various clients.
Services include Server/Client setup and repair, Network design, setup and repair, website design and setup, and wireless Internet setup and installs.Designed and implemented Microsoft Windows 2000 and RedHat Linux based file servers, and print servers Designed and implemented a full Active Directory structure for multiple clients. Set up and deployed Apache, PHP and MySQL for web application development
Sept 2000 - Oct 2002
Systems Engineer/Network engineer
Serve as on site network consulting for clientele, which included client/server setup and repair in networked environments of 5 to 100 clients according to client needs.
Network Administration of a cutting edge network for a local ISP/ASP consisting of 20 servers:
Planned and Implemented full backup and disaster recovery plan using a SAN, Veritas
Backup Exec, VBscript, and a Dell Multi-tape Drive for the entire network
Expanded infrastructure from 5 Windows 2000 servers to 20 Windows 2000 Servers
Expanded infrastructure from 20 Wyse terminal client desktops to well over 150 desktop clients
Setup and repaired multiple Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Servers from severe system crashes
Utilize various shell scripting for easily installing users, website and domains
July 1999 - Sept 2000
Computer Technician, ISP Technical Support
Testing, troubleshooting, and repairing of customers computer systems. Building of new and refurbishing older computers. Answering technical support telephone calls, and setting up dial-in accounts for local ISP. Setting up Windows NT servers for dial in user authentication.
Oct 1997 - Oct 1998
Responsibilities included performing daily maintenance and operations that surround the Etch area.
Coordinate product flow with other organizations within the microchip production facility.
Worked with team to manage operations and run pilot test products.
Team Safety Representative
ALWAYS BE LEARNING [ABL]
- 2020 Udemy - Terraform Lightning Course
- 2018 Azure Functions training
- 2018 Azure Kubernetes training
- 2018 Consensys Academy Developer Certification for the Ethereum Blockchain
- 2018 Microsoft Azure 2 Day Infrastructure Training.
- 2018 edX | LinuxFoundationX: LFS171x | Blockchain for Business - An Introduction to Hyperledger Technologies
- 2018 Udemy | Ethereum and Solidity: The Complete Developer's Guide
- 2016-2017 Lynda.com - Fullstack Python Developer Tracks
- 2016 Insidious 2 day Information Security Hackathon Training
- 2016 New Relic APM Training
- 2016 Splunk Training
- 2015 ScienceLogic Advanced Training
- 2015 Insidious 2 day Information Security Hackathon Training
- 2014 Insidious 2 day Information Security Hackathon Training
- 2014 Amazon AWS online training
- 2013 Level Platforms training, Solarwinds N-able training, and Microsoft Office365 training for EDU
- 2011 F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager Essentials - v10
- 2011 F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager Advanced Topics - v10
- 2010 Commvault Sympana Administration, Engineering and Support
- 2010 Microsoft MS-6451 Planning, Deploying and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- 2010 Microsoft MS-6434 Automating Windows Server 2008 Administration with Windows Powershell
- 2009 VMware Technical Sales Professional VTSP, and VMware Sales Professional VSP
- 2008 VMware Certified Professional VCP
- 1997 Herzing College of Technology, Madison, WI, Associate of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology GPA 3.7
HIGHLIGHTED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Operating Systems: Apple OSX, Microsoft Windows Server and Client, RedHat Linux, and Debian/Ubuntu Linux. Cisco,Juniper, and HP for routers and switches.
- Openstack, Linux KVM hypervisor, VMware Virtualization Technologies, Ellucian PowerCampus, PowerFAIDS, Microsoft Office, Various SAN admin clients, Veritas Backup Exec, ARCserve Backup, Tivoli Storage Manager, Axcient Backup, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft IIS, Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, Apache, Bind, and MySQL.
- Monitoring programs such as ScienceLogic, New Relic, Solarwinds, N-able, Prometheus, and Observium. Network sniffing and diagnosis programs.
- System administration programs for both Microsoft Windows server and RedHat Linux for user setup and administration.
ARMY National Guard
Motor Transport Operator 88M
Service from December 1992 - December 2000
Honorable Discharge – December 2000